Cutest Blog on the Block

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Making a list and checking it twice...

I'm making a to-do list and a packing list and a shopping list. We are getting ready to head to the "Low Country". MUSC. The Medical University of South Carolina. That place that causes a jumble of emotions --- hope, fear, determination, dread, relief, exasperation, compassion, fatigue, gratitude. Right now, the list-making is a way to occupy my mind with some purpose. Otherwise, my mind will carry me away to places that I don't want to be --- places where I fret and worry about that which I cannot control.

Zach asked me this morning, "What'cha doin'?"
"Making a list" I said.
"For what?" he asked.
"Of things to pack for our trip to Charleston" I said.
He thought for a moment. "Where I gonna stay?"
"You're going with Mommy and Daddy" I said.
"Why we going?" he asked.
"So we can go visit Dr. Bradley and some of his friends" I tried to say with some excitement in my voice.
"I don't want to get a shot" Zach said.

Fortunately, he dropped the conversation then and went back to munching on his breakfast.

My heart was so heavy as I thought about picking up the conversation with him later in the week. We must prepare him for what he is about to experience. We must help him to understand that he needs to go through this to make him better. There is no way he can understand it. He must learn to trust Mommy and Daddy to take care of him and do what's best for him. In the same way, my burdened heart must learn to trust the Lord to take care of us and do what's best for us.

It is all about faith.

Psalm 143:1
O LORD, hear my prayer, listen to my cry for mercy; in your faithfulness and righteousness come to my relief.


Psalm 9:10
Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you.
 
Psalm 28:7
The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.


Psalm 147:3
He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.

Matthew 6:34
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

1 Peter 5:7
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

6 comments:

  1. My heart hurts for you as you all face this surgery. For us, the first two were difficult, but WOW thinking about that third one...having to explain, to try to prepare a little guy for what he's about to face...

    Prayers for the right words to come at just the right moment for both you and Zach. Lots and lots of prayers!!

    Big hugs, friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be so hard to explain something like this to them. Our time is coming, and I dread it also. It is so overwhelming to think about, and I loved the verses you shared. Zach will certainly be in our prayers in the coming days. Praying for peace for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those list are long, but they keep you busy at least try to keep your mind off the upcoming events....PRAYING PRAYING PRAYING!

    RHonda :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will be praying for you guys and watching your blog for updates. Can't even begin to imagine what you must be going through. Know your "family" here is close in thoughts and prayers!!

    Robyn Dixon

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love you and will be thinking of you all!
    Jon & Brooke Cudd

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for you all today during pre-op. Our hearts are with you.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think!